On 23/05/13 18:39, Tim wrote:
I am trying to access a web site via a different IP address than the normal web site sits on. I have been told (by the owners of the the web site) to add an IP address to my host file which resolve to the domain name. So I edited the /etc/host file as follows

1.1.1.1 thesite.co.uk (all fictitious, just an example)

I then saved it and restarted the networking. I then tested the access to the web site and while I could access the web site I am unable to access the bit of the web site that I need to access which the above mod to the host file should of let me access. How can I check that the web browser is accessing the web site via the changes I made in the host file and not using the old settings?

Tim

You could, of course, just access it as http://10.11.12.13 provided it's not using virtual sites.