I think the only way to get an unbiased answer is to somehow compare MTBF
and AFR between HDD and SDD.
You then take into account environmental conditions and see which best suit.
For example, a Laptop is more likely to get a shock, so a SSD is better
than a HDD as it is more resistant to shock.
Shock is not a problem for desktops, the possible problem there is heat.
HDDs don't like getting too hot, so if you don't wish to have good air
flow/noisy fans etc, and SSD might be the better choice.
SSD seem generally better in adverse environmental conditions.
I have seen proof that things with moving parts are more likely to fail.
Anyone who has deployed thousands to fanless thin clients with no HDD will
know that the failure rate is far less than desktops with fans and HDDs.
So, my gut feeling is SSDs should be more reliable than HDDs.
What I have not seen is SMART stats from SSDs telling us about SSD specific
items. E.g. Some stats or values for an SSD for how many failed storage
spots there are.
I have not seen the Linux smartctl program list anything like this for
SSDs, but I have not checked the SMART standard, to see if stats for SSDs
are reported or not.

What is definitely don't like with reports of SSDs up till now, is that
they quite often go dark without any notice. I.e. You loose everything with
no warning.
That is a failure mode that is very unfortunate. I think that if
manufactures could do something to mitigate the "going dark" failure mode,
then at least when the SSD fails, you could still recover data from it,
much like you can do with most failure modes of a HDD.
I saw this with some USB flash sticks. Their failure more is they just
switch to read only.

Another one I saw, for a military app, was a test point on the SSD, so you
could access the flash chips directly without having to de-solder them. It
made data recovery in case of a fault a lot quicker and could be done by
non-experts. It would let you read the entire flash contents, bit-by-bit.
You then ran it through a program that contained the rules for the data
layout, and the data could be recovered easily. You could not do this with
HDDs, because you need experts to deal with the platters when recovering
data from HDDs.
I would really like to see that feature on consumer SSDs. It completely
removes the "going dark" failure mode.

Kind Regards

James