On Thu, Jan 16 at 09:51, Leo wrote:
> An external USB drive I have presents both itself and a dvd drive
> (containing some windows software) when it is plugged in. I'd like to be
> able to ignore the dvd drive. Googling indicates I should use the
> ignore_device option in my udev rules, however this doesn't appear to
> make a difference. The line in udev is:
> SUBSYSTEM=="block", ENV{ID_MODEL}=="CDROM",
> ENV{ID_SERIAL}=="Virtual_CDROM_0000D3118946-0:1", ENV{GENERATED}="1",
> OPTIONS+="ignore_device"
>
> Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, or have an alternative way to
> stop devices showing up?

Just a random thought.  You might want to take a look at usb-modeswitch.
It's actually designed to handle a different but similar problem.  USB
modems often present the pseudo Windows DVD drive only until they are
switched into the operating mode when the drive is hidden and pseudo
serial ports or other endpoints for the modem are presented.

That said it's a tricky bit of sofware, but it might have some clues.

--
        Bob Dunlop