Afternoon all

I am hoping the collective knowledge of the two lugs can help me. About a year ago I had a network issue at work and an engineer came out to remedy the situation. One of the tools he used would be very useful for a job I have coming up, it was some sort of port testing tool which could tell if there was anything connected to the port on the patch panel (e.g. plugged into the socket in to the wall socket at the other end). The tool was about 10" long, plastic tapered handle down to a metal shaft which had a small metal ball (about 3/16") on the end. He placed the ball end into the ports on the patch panel and if there was a device at the other end it would make a buzzing sound, it seemed to work by picking up any electrical emissions noise produced by the device at the other end. Apparently it is used in phone networking for the same thing. But does anybody know what it is called. We have just taken over a new site up country where a lot of the wall sockets are unmarked and ports on the patch panel are unmarked so I need to trace them through.

Thanks in advance

Tim