On Fri, 2014-09-05 at 16:55 +0400, li...@themilwards.biz wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Thinking of spending out for 1tb of Google Drive but wary due to the
> lack of Linux client but still tempted as it is very cheap for the
> cost. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives? Looking for
> largish space as I need to start backing my photos up off site (had a
> dead drive scare recently only to discover that my previous off site
> wasn't backing up properly)

FWIW, and maybe I have more changing data than some, I found that the
cloud storage I tried using some while back was simply unable to keep up
with the amount of data. In fairness, that was because my CAD system was
also making it's own multi-megabyte backups to the same disc that was
being mirrored in the cloud.

It was also hogging my broadband.

I always feel a bit uncomfortable about having data that might possibly
be private or otherwise non-disclosable on a public site, however secure
they think it is.

I'm told a few celebrities agree with me.

My personal cloud(ish) storage is now on an ITX computer in a building
the other side of a real physical firewall (to stop real physical
fires).

Consider cron to check that the backups were done OK and tell you if
they weren't. Or just an alarm clock to remind you to check.

I use BackupPC, which seems pretty reasonable, not a real cloud
software.

G.