I recently installed Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon) on my desktop and laptop machines, as a successor to 13, the previous LTS release. The laptop is behaving OK, but I have a peculiarity on the desktop, which has two optical drives, both Optiarc AD-7173A DVD writers, as master and slave on the IDE interface (all the HDD are SATA).

In Mint *13*, "Computer" showed the two optical drives as one would expect; loading a CD or DVD into either drive showed up the type of disc, and an audio CD started up sound-juicer so I could rip the CD (one of my regular jobs is to take the CD recording of the Sunday morning service at our church, rip it, extract the sermon and put the MP3 file of the sermon on the church web site). Brasero could also see a blank recordable CD and prompt me what to do with it.

In Mint *17*, "Computer" showed only one optical drive rather than two; loading an audio CD into the *master* drive shows up the audio disc in "Computer" and (I've configured the system to do so) starts sound-juicer. However sound-juicer looks for the track listing on the *slave* drive. Loading an audio CD into the *slave* drive doesn't trigger sound-juicer or show up in "Computer", but if I start sound-juicer, I get the track listing for the CD in the slave drive. If I right-click on the optical drive icon and select Eject, it ejects the *slave* drive. There is a similar effect with brasero, the optical disc burning tool: a blank recordable CD or DVD in the *master* drive wakes up brasero, but once it's awake it wants to deal with the disc (if any) in the *slave* drive.

lshw -c disk shows the data for the two optical drives:

  *-cdrom:0
       product: DVD RW AD-7173A
       vendor: Optiarc
       physical id: 0.0.0
       bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/cdrom
       logical name: /dev/sr0
       version: 1-01
       serial: [
       capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
       configuration: ansiversion=5 status=ready
     *-medium
          physical id: 0
          logical name: /dev/cdrom
  *-cdrom:1
       product: DVD RW AD-7173A
       vendor: Optiarc
       physical id: 0.1.0
       bus info: scsi@0:0.1.0
       logical name: /dev/sr1
       version: 1-01
       serial: [
       capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
       configuration: ansiversion=5 status=ready
     *-medium
          physical id: 0
          logical name: /dev/sr1

which looks plausible to me, and suggests that the problem is at a higher layer.

Can anyone suggest where to start digging, please? I've tried posting on the Linux Mint forums but met with a resounding silence...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ian

Ian Park
email: i.d.c.p...@ntlworld.com