Hi,

Yes, there are a couple of reasons this may be a bad idea:

The main one I can think of is that every piece of software you run on a box
increases the risk that one of them may have a security vulnerability that
could be leveraged to take over the machine.

Let's say your media centre is vulnerable to Shellshock and malicious code is
injected into it. That code is now on a box that has a NIC on unfiltered public
internet and could do anything. If it contains a privilege escalation hack,
things get worse as it will be able to alter the firewall rules for the whole
network, spoof DNS responses to direct your banking to phishing sites and so
on. It may also grant its master remote access to your firewall.

Another issue is that, if you heavily load the firewall box with something like
a heavyweight database, like the one your media centre may contain, it may
affect your network throughout if the box gets bogged down.

We have a strictly enforced policy at work that forbids the installation of
application software on any machine that has a security role. It also forbids
any non administrator user from being allowed to log on to any such machine. I
think this rule is sensible.

Bests,
Paul.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse my brevity.