Hi all,

I have only ever attended one Hants LUG meet sometime in the early/mid
2000's and I'm not in a position to commit to attend a regularly meet up.
This said I did attend the last Surrey LUG meet @ Red Hat and it got me
wondering if there was any interest in a Hants meeting soon, rather
surprisingly I did enjoy getting out from my hole, taking in some sun and
actually talking to other Linux users.

I don't know what area would be neutral enough to tempt people out to a
meet up but I had two thoughts.

Firstly I know Smoothwall have an office in Segensworth, I don't know if
any list members are employees of Smoothwall and could assist with seeing
if using a room would be possible? if not then I would be willing to make
contact with them, after all their product is a GNU/Linux platform :)

Their location [1] is easily accessible from the M27 and close to Swanwick
train station.

Alternatively I was thinking about SoMakeIt, if you're not aware of
SoMakeIt is it a makerspace based in Shirley area of Southampton and has
quite a large area allowing for table top desk space and sofa's for a more
relaxed sitting area as demonstrated in this picture [2] and internet is
available.

It is less then a mile to Southampton Central train station and for those
travelling by car via M271 then you leave the A33 before the trouble with
shopping centres etc start [3].

They have a tuck shop available [4] which includes Tea/Coffee/soft drinks
etc although I'd recommend the Club-Mate :)

I haven't spoken to anyone else at SoMakeIt but I know they have offered
the space for use to Hants LUG before so I cant see it will be an issue, we
would need a Keyholder to open the space and stay with us, but as some key
holders are members of this list I don't think that should be too much of a
problem. Alternatively I am currently a member and could look to see if I
might be able to apply for Key holder status if needed.

The only downside to SoMakeIt is they have a public opening Saturday's so
it would have to be a Sunday meet.

In return for using the space I would recommend everyone made a small
voluntary donation of £1 to assist covering the running cost of the
makerpsace.

Of course if anyone else has other suggestions for meeting locations then
please share.

Sorry I've written more then I intended but I'm looking forward to see how
much interest there is out there.

Rgds

Peter Collins
@tripleclones