Hi

In summary: The laser printer Canon LBP2900 is commonly used in Vietnam but
configuring it to work durably with Linux (Ubuntu) was quite difficult.
With the new driver, version 2.70 updated in December 2015 by Canon, it is
now possible to obtain a stable configuration that holds after rebooting
the computer !

Page to download the driver:
http://support-vn.canon-asia.com/contents/VN/EN/0100459601.html

Installation instructions are given in the archive downloaded. In case you
cannot view the documentation in HTML format, here are the successive
commands to be done, extracted from the Canon documentation (page Doc in:
Canon/Linux_CAPT_PrinterDriver_V270_uk_EN/Doc/guide-capt-2.7xUK/contents/main_02_01.html#main_02_01)

1. The following files are installed in 32-bit Debian systems:
"cndrvcups-common_x.xx-x_i386.deb" : common module for CUPS drivers
"cndrvcups-capt_x.xx-x_i386.deb" : CAPT printer driver module

2. Install the common module for CUPS driver.
sudo dpkg -i [file name of common module for CUPS drivers]

3.  Install the CAPT printer driver module.
sudo dpkg -i [file name of the CAPT printer driver module]

4. Restart CUPS.
sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart (ou cupsys?)

5. Register the printer (PPD) with the print spooler.
sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p [printer name] -m [PPD file name] -v
ccp://localhost:59687 –E

Example: To register the LBP2900 in the print spooler as "LBP2900":
sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p LBP2900 -m CNCUPSLBP2900CAPTK.ppd -v
ccp://localhost:59687 –E

6. Register the printer in the ccpd daemon setup file.

for USB Connection
sudo /usr/sbin/ccpdadmin -p [Printer Name] -o [Printer Device Path]

Example: To register LBP2900 in the ccpd daemon setup file:
/usr/sbin/ccpdadmin -p LBP2900 -o /dev/usb/lp0

for Network Connection
sudo /usr/sbin/ccpdadmin -p [Printer Name] -o net:[IP address]

Example: To register LBP2900 in the ccpd daemon setup file (IP address:
172.23.2.72):
/usr/sbin/ccpdadmin -p LBP2900 -o net:172.23.2.72

7. Start ccpd daemon.
sudo etc/init.d/ccpd start

It would be convenient to set ccpd daemon to start automatically when Linux
starts up.

So you can apply what í found on that doc:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CanonCaptDrv190

sudo update-rc.d ccpd defaults

To monitor the printer, type the following command in a terminal
captstatusui -P <Your printer name as specified in cups>

example: captstatusui -P LBP2900

I succeeded to install LBP2900 twice in the past with Ubuntu 10.04 and
12.04. I couldn't do it with 14.04, one year and half ago, until this new
2.70 driver was released ! Now I won't need to boot Windows at my work
place just to print ! I can do it from Ubuntu !!!

A good way to start the Year of the Monkey 2016.

--
Vu Do Quynh (M.)
Hanoi, Vietnam