Willy,

> You're perfectly right, redispatch only happens when the
> request is still
> in haproxy. Once it has been sent, it is cannot be performed.
> It must not
> be performed either for non idempotent requests, because
> there is no way
> to know whether some processing has begun on the server before it died
> and returned an RST.

I suspected that this would be the case.

> > Any further advice would be much appreciated, I can provide packet
> > captures off list if required.
>
> Shouldn't you include the Host header in the health checks,
> in order to
> sollicit the final server and get a chance to see it fail ?

The health checks naturally include the Host header, and work properly.
We just wanted to avoid returning 503 to the client for the 4-14 seconds
it takes for the backend server to be reported down (inter 5 fall 2).
We'll see if there's something we can do to get IIS to return a RST
before it receives the full request.

-JohnF