> I still don't understand why people stick to heartbeat for things
> as simple as moving an IP address. Heartbeat is more of a clustering
> solution, with abilities to perform complex tasks.
>
> When it comes to just move an IP address between two machines an do
> nothing else, the VRRP protocol is really better. It's what is
> implemented in keepalived. Simple, efficient and very reliable.

One reason, heartbeat is standard in many distributions (ie: RHEL, Centos)
and vrrp and keepalived are not.  It might be overkill for just IP
addresses, but being supported in the base OS is a plus that shouldn't be
discounted.  If you have to support heartbeat on other servers, using
heartbeat for places you have to share resources is easier than using vrrp
for some and heartbeat on others.