On Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 03:59:07PM +0200, Aleksandar Lazic wrote:
(...)
> On Fre 02.10.2009 22:54, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> >On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 10:19:47PM +0200, Aleksandar Lazic wrote:
> >>Hm so if I want to add ajp,fcgi, ... protocol I think I will need a
> >>buffer for the 'header' and for the content.
> >
> >Yes, the principle is to chain two series of buffers like this :
>
> [snip]

If you're interested, I've just pushed the final cleanup of the
stats socket handler. It is much cleaner now and should be readable
enough to be used as a starting point for other protocols. You can
also take a look at the http stats (read stats_uri_auth()), and you
will see it's not much hard.

(...)
> >To be quite honnest, it is a bit early but it is also what helps the
> >design evolve towards the right direction. If you start to implement
> >something now, I'm absolutely certain that you will regularly block
> >because of missing feature X or Y and that sometimes I won't even have
> >any immediate response. This is sometimes very frustrating for
> >everyone. But if you don't waste your time on it and just start it as a
> >PoC, it should be an interesting experience which can serve both of us.
>
> I will try to make a fcgi app out of haproxy to get more familiar with
> the protocol. After that I will try to add a 'applet' so that I don't
> mixe 2 new issuess, learn fcgi & learn haproxy applet ;-).

Be careful, the term "applet" here was chosen to designate a piece of
code running inside one function and doing its own I/O itself, but it's
far from being enough to run an application (it would be too hard to
write and too risky). Things like advanced health-checks should be easy
though.

> >>So no stickyness on the loadbalancer, so the most application use the
> >>cookies and shared storage for the sessions, right.
> >
> >Oh sorry if I was not clear in my response. Since you only asked about
> >the LB method, I thought you were only interested in the algo.
> >Stickiness based on cookie insertion is almost always used with HTTP,
> >since it's the easiest one to deploy.
>
> So the 'insert' and 'indirect' cookie mode ist used mostly, right?
> In this case the browser gives you with the cookie the right backend.

yes, that's it.

> I will take a look into the fcgi & lsapi[1] and come back ;-)
>
> [1] http://www.litespeedtech.com/php-litespeed-sapi.html
>     http://www.litespeedtech.com/products/lsapi/overview/

did not know about those. I'm not surprized they claim higher
performance than fcgi, as there is a lot of rewriting in fcgi,
and everything which can be avoided should be.