On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Dirk Taggesell
<dirk.tagges...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hank A. Paulson wrote:
>
>> How varied is your "site" param? are there many variations or just a few
>> similar strings?
>
> There's a large amount of distinctive urls, maybe some are requested
> several times, but still al large amount of different site urls. There
> is also another GET parameter, which is some key (one customer, one
> key) that is largely constant. but as the url hash should be based on
> the site param the key shouldn't matter.
>
> Only thing is that every site url starts with "http://"; and most also
> followed by "www". But that doesn't matter with hashing over the
> entire url?

I still do not know why five of seven back-ends don't receive any
requests once I activate "hash-type consistent". Without consistent
hashing the distribution of requests are almost perfectly even among
the back-ends. And I tested with lots of different URLs (an url is
given as GET parameter and this parameter is used for hashing).

Is there definitely a need for manually weighing the individual
back-ends with consistent hashing? That would be quite difficult as I
now do only have test urls and not the real ones that will be used in
production. And once in production I cannot simply activate consistent
hashing only to discover that two back-ends are overloaded while the
other ones are doing nothing and me frantically trying to manually
distributing the requests by adding weigths to individual back-ends.
Sounds quite counter-intuitive to me.

So as far as I understood consistent hashing prevents a complete
redistribution of hashes among the back-ends but will only
redistribute requests that would have gone to a now off-line back-end.
So that not all the back-ends caches are being completely invalidated.

But needing to manually adjust the back-end distribution will cause
problems when the general character of urls our customers send us will
change, not?