Hi,

I have a quick comment for now, before going deep through your config.

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 03:49:57PM -0700, Chih Yin wrote:
> As for the logs, it seems that I'll need to look at the configuration for
> HAProxy a bit more to make some adjustments first.  A few months back, I
> know I saw messages indicating the status of server (e.g. 3 active, 2
> backup).

Normally this means that a server is failing to respond to some health checks,
either because it crashed or froze, or because it's overloaded.

What I see is that your "contimeout" is set to 8 seconds and you have no
"timeout queue". In this case, the queue timeout defaults to the contimeout,
which is rather short. It means that when all your servers are saturated, a
request will go to the queue and if no server releases a connection within
8 seconds, the client will get a 503. At least you should add
"timeout queue 80s" to give more chances to your new client requests to get
served within the previous requests' timeout. While this is a very high timer
it might help troubleshoot your issues.