On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 02:10:45AM +0200, hapr...@serverphorums.com wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply and thanks for all of the work on haproxy, it's
> been very fun to play with.
>
> If I leave the ssl processing to the back end webservers and simply use
> haproxy to distribute the load there is no way to make sure that client A's
> sessions are consistently sent to webserver A on the back end is there?

No, you can't. But quite honnestly, you should really take a look at what
happens in the application. It is possible that you have the ability to
set the base URL in the config.

>   Maybe I could load balance based on the originating IP?

There are some mixed results on this. One of my customers observes
about 5% of their clients coming from variable IPs (mainly cache farms
in enterprise networks). Others observe less. Also, I suspect that with
the increase of smartphones on the net, changing IPs within a session
will raise again, which is not a problem anymore since almost everyone
does stickiness on layer 7 now. This will then force broken sites to
be fixed, thus allowing more sites to relax their outgoing rules, and
finally increasing the ratio of variable IPs too.

If I were you, I would really try to fix the app's config.