> This mechanism (connection multiplexing) will be worked on once we have
> server-side keep-alive. There are several issues doing this. HTTP only
> allows you to send an idempotent request over a keep-alive connection,
> because if the connection closes while you're sending, you have to re-emit
> the request without knowing if it was processed or not. So basically you
> must not send POSTs nor any request looking like a dynamic request, which
> limits the feature to static files. I know that some vendors tend to do
> that on anything because it looks better. Just ask them what customers
> use that on your payment requests ;-)

You know, we've had this in perlbal for half a decade or so. Have you
tested the implementation at all? Perlbal sits in front of almost
everything, and mostly with backend keepalives enabled. On paranoid/broken
systems you can always leave client persist on and disable backend
persist, but you add some latency.

If nothing else, I'd be curious to know what real bugs perlbal has
relative to backend keepalives, so we can document them at least.

-Dormando