Check out this thread I had earlier in the month on the same topic:
http://www.formilux.org/archives/haproxy/1010/3910.html

Bottom line: vmware will slow down your upper level transaction limit by a
significant amount (like an order of maginitude).  The software drivers
underneath the network stack and the system stack add enough overhead to reduce
your maximum transaction ceiling to around 6000 trans/sec on haproxy (this is
without a backend constraint).  On a hardware device, I am seeing much higher
numbers (50k).

LES