I worked around this issue by including the "option httpchk" in the
backend but never using the "check" option for the servers in that
backend that are tracked.  The server lines do contain the "track"
option.

backend be1
        balance roundrobin
        http-check disable-on-404
        option httpchk HEAD /online.php HTTP/1.1\r\nHost:\ healthcheck
        server 1.2.3.4 1.2.3.4:80 check

backend be2
        balance roundrobin
        http-check disable-on-404
        option httpchk HEAD /online.php HTTP/1.1\r\nHost:\ healthcheck
        server 1.2.3.4 1.2.3.4:80 track be1/1.2.3.4

-Bryan