Graeme,

Hmm, it does appear to be a bit hard to find documentation on the stats page :)
If I look at the stats page, on one of my backends I'm seeing these values under the warning column: retr (344) and redis (172). The backend has 8 servers and only 1 has non-zero values for this column.

I believe that they are retries and redispatches. To judge by the values of the numbers a server will be retried twice before it redispatches (2 * 172 = 344).

Can someone explain what the numbers mean, I've tried poking through the documentation but nothing stands out.
A retry is "is the number of times a connection attempt should be retried on a server when a connection either is refused or times out.", you can search the doc for "retries <value>"

In the docs, also found the following text for redispatch is "In HTTP mode, if a server designated by a cookie is down, clients may definitely stick to it because they cannot flush the cookie, so they will not be able to access the service anymore." I'm not certain that this is completely applicable in your case though.

It seems that your one server is either actively rejecting connections or not receiving them. I assume they are all local servers with the same configuration on the same network. I would recommend that you check the network interface to make sure there are no issues with it. If there are no problems at that level it may be that you don't have the same config on each backend server, and you have a lower number of permitted connections or similar.

If you enable tcp logging I believe you will be able to see more precise information about why a given request has failed. This could let you determine if you are experiencing timeouts (network or server config related, probably more likely the former) or connection refused messages (almost certainly server config related).

-JohnF