Hey,

A slowdown would be interesting if you want to avoid any huge traffic
to be redirected to quickly to other backends.

A nice feature, maybe already implemented, would be the "grace
shutdown" of a backend.
In case you use sticky session, "grace shutdown" would balance new
incoming request to other backends and wait the established sessions
to finish to consider the backend completely down.
It's longer to shutdown a backend, but it's safer for your buisness ;)

cheers