From: Willy Tarreau <w...@1wt.eu>
Subject: Re: Email notification on server status
To: "Amol" <mandm_z...@yahoo.com>
Cc: haproxy@formilux.org
Date: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 1:20 AM

Hi Amol,

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 09:35:44PM -0700, Amol wrote:
> Hi,
> i was just curious, if the haproxy can be set to send notification if the
> server is down or is not reachable?
>
> i was looking at some of my servers and they were all hosed due to php memory
> allocation and i could not even ssh into them for a long time, so if haproxy
> can send an alert regarding this then i need not install tools like nagios,
> etc

There is no such feature, but :
  - an alert was sent to your logs for each down server, and an
    emergency message was sent when you lost the last one, so this
    should have been detected ;

  - you can enable SNMP using the tools in the contrib/ directory
    and monitor it just like the rest of your network components ;

  - there is a nagios plugin to monitor haproxy and which should
    report alerts when servers/proxies are down ;

So in practice, there are several solutions and all can be used at
the same time if you want. I know some people who receive SMS when
one of their servers go down, and I know that others receive mails,
in fact anything can be done when combined with the appropriate
tools.