On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 7:02 AM, Willy Tarreau <w...@1wt.eu> wrote:

> I have no idea with ip rules impact performance that much for you.
> Anyway, since you're dealing with two interfaces, you can explicitly
> bind haproxy to each of them and still have a default route on each
> interface. The trick is to use a different metric so that you can have
> two default routes.
>
> For instance :
>
>  ip route add default via 10.0.0.1 dev eth0
>  ip route add default via 192.168.0.1 dev eth1 metric 2

I hadn't tried a default with a different metric, but no, still
doesn't work. Packets outside of the local subnets still end up
leaving through the first default route, which is why I have to move
the packets through another routing table with it's own default. Note
that this, and the previous suggestions, do work on most people's
networks, but our strict reverse path checking makes this more
complex.

Thanks Willy,
-jim