If I wanted to add client side keep-alive support for HAProxy behind an
Apache httpd SSL configuration, how should I set this up?

Maybe someone who has this successfully setup already could share their
httpd and haproxy setup?

Is it just as simple as turning on KeepAlive in httpd and adding option
http-server-close to my HAProxy frontend?  I want to ensure that the IP
address will always be correct once it gets to the web servers and that I
won't receive any mod_proxy error messages due to premature closing of
server connections.

My current httpd config:
KeepAlive Off
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100