Here's an HAProxy ctl/init script that includes Nagios and Cloudkick checks
(to the UNIX socket and lsof listeners) to go with the regular
start/stop/init stuff: https://github.com/flores/haproxyctl

The advantage of using a wrapper around the UNIX socket is you can also add
checks for available backends, hosts down, and so forth.  This should be in
addition to whatever TCP/HTTP checks that come default in any monitoring
solution.

(The script above is easy to edit to add such things.)