From: Willy Tarreau [mailto:w...@1wt.eu]
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 6:36 PM
To: Jens Dueholm Christensen (JEDC)
Cc: haproxy@formilux.org
Subject: Re: haproxy with keepalived

Clearly on linux it's common to have ARP working in a "strange way" for some
people, because its IPv4 stack works exactly like the IPv6 one, with addresses
having a host scope, so any network card is able to respond to an ARP request.

I've been using Julian Anastsov's patchset for more than 10 years on 2.2 then
2.4 to add the arp_announce, arp_filter, arp_ignore etc... sysctls. Now they're
in 2.6 by default but I too think that the default values are confusing, so one
of the very first things I do when I install a system is to switch them. The
second one is to set ip_nonlocal_bind :-)