On Thursday, May 24, 2012 01:59:32 AM Willy Tarreau wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 01:12:14AM -0700, Justin Karneges wrote:
> > Well, the network could fail at anytime and have a similar effect. I'm
> > not sure if killing all connections to the backup is really any worse
> > than killing all connections to the non-backup (via on-marked-down).
> > Either way a bunch of client errors may occur, but for a scenario that
> > is hopefully rare.
>
> Killing connections when something fails is acceptable to many people,
> but killing connections when everything goes well is generally not
> accepted.

This is certainly a sensible philosophy.

I think what makes my scenario special is that the backup server is
functionally worse than the non-backup. So even though we are discussing a
destructive response to a positive event, it's the quickest way to get the
service out of a degraded state.

> > Maybe an "on-marked-up shutdown-backup-sessions" option would be good.
>
> I was thinking about something like this, but I still have doubts about
> its real usefulness. I don't know what others think here. If there is
> real demand for this and people think it serves a real purpose, I'm fine
> with accepting a patch to implement it.

Thanks for being open. I'll mull this over some more and consider making a
patch.

Justin