I guess I wasn't clear again.  I'm not talking about "editing" the
configuration file and reloading HAProxy.

My suggestion is simply to implement a dynamic interface to the backend servers
so they can change the current behavior of the HAProxy instance (especially in
a load balanced HAProxy backend).

I'll leave it to the developers to figure out what can be dynamically changed
and if adding a server to a backend is too complex, then that won't be part of
the interface.