> IMHO, it's confusing having clear and SSL backends defined

I do see your point, but I would rather not introduce another configuration
option like use-server (a new user probably doesn't know about ssl_fc and
conditional options either).

What about removing the clear-text options and make a dedicated clear-text
frontend which uses the https-backend. That way we give the users a
immediate understanding of the fact that ssl processing is fully decoupled
from the request processing itself; but we also avoid mixed front and
backends, which is whats causing confusion here.

It would then look like this I guess:

frontend my-http-frontend
    bind :80
    default_backend my-https-backend

frontend my-https-frontend
    # primary cert is /etc/cert/server.pem
    # /etc/cert/certdir/ contains additional certificates for SNI clients
    bind :443 ssl crt /etc/cert/server.pem crt /etc/cert/certdir/
    default_backend my-https-backend

backend my-https-backend
    # a https backend
    server s4 10.0.0.3:443 ssl