Hi!

> The incoming packets pass thru haproxy, but my backend web servers
> respond directly to client, instead of send to haproxy and then to client?

This is by definition not possible when you are working at layer 7 (or even
when you just terminating TCP).

Use layer 4 load balancers, like Linux' LVS for "direct route".

> I think that if the haproxy could be a bottleneck if all packets
> returned thru him.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. What kind of traffic patterns do you
have? Numbers of 20Gbps+ are possible on a properly tuned machine.

Regards,

Lukas