Sebastian,

1. when you talk to a ML, you should say 'Hi'
2. when you talk to a ML, you shouldn't send HTML mails

Now, I can see you have absolutely no experience with Load-Balancing.
Here are a few clues for you:
- when you have a 503 error, then no need to think, it means ALL the
servers from the farm are seen DOWN
- the purpose of the health check is to ensure the service is UP and
RUNNING on the servers
- Usually, it is a good idea to enable health checking when
load-balancing, to allow haproxy to know server status to avoid
sending client requests to dead servers
- instead of disabling health checking, you should be troubleshooting
it: HAProxy logs will tell you why the health check was not working.

Good luck,

Baptiste