On 2 January 2014 20:09, Jordan Arentsen <jor...@bliss.io> wrote:
> I'm trying to prepare HAProxy for a production, and I'm trying to figure out
> some good default configuration settings that will at least give me a good
> place to start.
>
> My main question revolves around the maxconn option and the various
> timeouts. I was thinking about setting the maxconn to 15k or so, is this a
> bad place to start? Any other advice on baseline performance tuning?
>
> Mostly this will be routing to various front-end web servers based on the
> incoming url. There is a main PHP application running on a couple servers, a
> Tomcat server running authentication, and a few node.js servers. Mostly the
> PHP servers will be handling the bulk of the load for now. Is that the
> information you were looking for, or is there something I can dig into more
> in-depth?

That sounds pretty vanilla, so my suggestion would be to start with
the defaults and see where that gets your specific application and
workload.

HAProxy's defaults are sane (I /think/ the default queue timeout and
queue size might need increasing, but it's been a while since I've set
up a greenfield app from scratch). Remember the sine qua nons of
performance tuning are to change one thing at a time, measure things
precisely and accurately, and make sure you're comparing apples with
apples.

You should have an idea of what you'll need maxconn to be, based on
either existing logs or your business' traffic predictions. If you
have neither of these, set it high and drop it down as you observe
you're able to over time.

Others may well have more specific recommendations, but that's where I'd start.

Jonathan