Hello list,

After some discussion in #haproxy channel about MAX_SYSLOG_LEN, i think
we should raise this default value from 1024 to 2048.

Multiple arguments for that, RFC5426
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5426#section-3.2) encourage all receivers
to support up to 2048 and recommend that syslog senders restrict message
sizes such that IP datagrams do not exceed the smallest MTU of the
network in use.
In our case, the network almost all of us use is loopback, as we usually
chain on the loopback, then forward log in the wild if we need. Loopback
MTU is 16346, so no limitation here.

Syslog daemon used by default in GNU/Linux distribution are rsyslog and
syslog-ng, RHEL and Debian use rsyslog, SLES use syslog-ng, all daemons
support up to 2048, by default 8192 especially for syslog-ng.
http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/rsyslog_conf_global.html
http://www.balabit.com/sites/default/files/documents/syslog-ng-pe-4.0-guides/en/syslog-ng-pe-v4.0-guide-admin-en/html-single/index.html#idp8428192

Rsyslog guys says "that testing showed that 4k seems to be the typical
maximum for UDP based syslog. This is an IP stack restriction. Not
always ... but very often"

*BSD (FreeBSD/OpenBSD) support is not so nice, base syslogd support up
to 1024, so maybe we should stick to 1024 only for us.

BTW, i think the best should also be to support configurable value in
configuration, like a tune.syslog.maxlength or something like that.

Hervé.

--
Hervé COMMOWICK
Ingénieur systèmes et réseaux.

http://www.rezulteo.com
by Lizeo Online Media Group <http://www.lizeo-online-media-group.com/>
42 quai Rambaud - 69002 Lyon (France) ⎮ ☎ +33 (0)4 26 99 03 77