On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Chris Burroughs
<chris.burrou...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We are running 1.4.24 for an application that sees almost entirely small http
> requests.  We have the following timeouts:
>     timeout client       7s
>     timeout server       4s
>     timeout connect      4s
>     timeout http-request 7s
>
> There are a significant number of cR/http-408 responses in the logs. The docs
> say that should represent timeouts from "timeout http-request".  My
> expectation was that in those cases the total request time would be equal to
> "timeout http-request".  However, a full logging trace shows some are
> shorter, and many are longer, than the timeout.
>
> # NumSamples = 143006; Min = 221.00; Max = 13230.00
> # Mean = 10706.382585; Variance = 9305084.888424; SD = 3050.423723
> # each * represents a count of 1141
>   221.0000 -  1521.9000 [     2]:
>  1521.9000 -  2822.8000 [  7402]: ******
>  2822.8000 -  4123.7000 [  1899]: *
>  4123.7000 -  5424.6000 [  6737]: *****
>  5424.6000 -  6725.5000 [  4155]: ***
>  6725.5000 -  8026.4000 [  4391]: ***
>  8026.4000 -  9327.3000 [  7942]: ******
>  9327.3000 - 10628.2000 [  9794]: ********
> 10628.2000 - 11929.1000 [ 15101]: *************
> 11929.1000 - 13230.0000 [ 85583]:

Do you use keep-alive? Since your Tq value is not -1, it seems like at
least one valid request must have been received and then the
connection held open for up to "timeout http-keep-alive" waiting for
another request. The doc seem to say that when client keep alive is
used that the Tq essentially reports the time since the TCP connection
was opened.

    Setting "option http-server-close"
    may display larger request times since "Tq" also measures the time spent
    waiting for additional requests.

-Bryan