Willy Tarreau wrote:

It's very interesting, it contains a call to ssl_update_cache(). I didn't
know you were using SSL, but in multi-process mode we have the shared context
model to share the SSL sessions between processes.

Yes, sorry. In the initial email on this thread I posted our configuration which included the SSL setup.

We're using OpenSSL 1.0.1g 7 Apr 2014 to benefit from the AES-NI acceleration.

Oh and BTW, I can confirm that ktrace is really poor compared to strace :-)

haproxy does not include DTrace probes by any chance right? :)

So it seems unrelated to kqueue as well. Later I will try to run the
test with a fraction of the traffic without nbproc (all the traffic is
too much for one process)

That would be great! You can try to build with "USE_PRIVATE_CACHE=1" in
order to disable session sharing.

Right now I'm running a test just with disabled nbproc. Next I will try to recompile with "USE_PRIVATE_CACHE=1"

Do I have to pass that option like this:

make CFLAGS="-g -O0" USE_PRIVATE_CACHE=1 ?

These are our current build options - for completeness:

haproxy -vv
HA-Proxy version 1.5-dev24-8860dcd 2014/04/26
Copyright 2000-2014 Willy Tarreau <w...@1wt.eu>

Build options :
  TARGET  = freebsd
  CPU     = generic
  CC      = cc
  CFLAGS  = -g -O0 -DFREEBSD_PORTS
  OPTIONS = USE_GETADDRINFO=1 USE_ZLIB=1 USE_OPENSSL=1 USE_PCRE=1

Default settings :
  maxconn = 2000, bufsize = 16384, maxrewrite = 8192, maxpollevents = 200

Encrypted password support via crypt(3): yes
Built with zlib version : 1.2.7
Compression algorithms supported : identity, deflate, gzip
Built with OpenSSL version : OpenSSL 1.0.1g 7 Apr 2014
Running on OpenSSL version : OpenSSL 1.0.1g 7 Apr 2014
OpenSSL library supports TLS extensions : yes
OpenSSL library supports SNI : yes
OpenSSL library supports prefer-server-ciphers : yes
Built with PCRE version : 8.34 2013-12-15
PCRE library supports JIT : no (USE_PCRE_JIT not set)
Built with transparent proxy support using: IP_BINDANY IPV6_BINDANY

Available polling systems :
     kqueue : pref=300,  test result OK
       poll : pref=200,  test result OK
     select : pref=150,  test result OK
Total: 3 (3 usable), will use kqueue.

Kind regards,

John

--
John-Paul Bader | Software Development

www.wooga.com
wooga GmbH | Saarbruecker Str. 38 | D-10405 Berlin
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin; HRB 117846 B
Registergericht Berlin-Charlottenburg
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Jens Begemann, Philipp Moeser