Hi Lukas,

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 11:34:37AM +0200, Lukas Tribus wrote:
> >> But yesterday, when Sasha sent his email, I also made some tests :
> >>
> >> $ time git clone -q http://git.haproxy.org/git/haproxy.git/
> >>
> >> real 4m37.767s
> >> user 0m27.260s
> >> sys 0m23.252s
> >
> > I'm not surprized, the repository had a ton of objects and had not been
> > repacked in a year or so.
>
> I can confirm that, yesterday it needed 4m and a half minutes when cloning
> from http://git.haproxy.org/git/haproxy.git/, now its 30 seconds. Also,
> cloning from http://master.formilux.org/git/people/willy/haproxy.git/
> did not succeed (I aborted this morning after 464 minutes), while it
> also completes in 30 seconds now (not sure about why it didn't complete).

Just checked and git.haproxy.org is actually a symlink to my home user
dir above, which explains why both have shrunk. I don't know why it did
not complete yesterday, maybe just a temporary network issue.

> 30 seconds is also what I'm measuring from the github mirror.
> That is on my slow connection there at home.
>
> From a better connected box (100megs) I can clone haproxy from github
> in 12 seconds and from the official haproxy mirror 11.7 seconds.

Anyway it's hard to go lower, there's a huge amount of work on the
client side to rebuild the objects, and they need to be transferred
(about 9MB of packed objects now). BTW, the amount of client-side
work explains why cloning from the machine itself took longer than
it took for you to clone from it (small CPU here).

> So I can confirm we are at least equal to github performance now after
> the repack.

Great, thank you for checking.