On 23.06.2014, at 16:50, Holger Just <w...@meine-er.de> wrote:

> [2] https://gist.github.com/meineerde/83e044c709b94358a616

Perfect, that worked like charm, Thank you!

Still, I think it's really the servers who are to blame for misbehaving. I just
rechecked the following RFCs:

- http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7230#section-5.4
- http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7230#section-2.7.1
- http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7230#section-2.7.3
- http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-3.2.3
- http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-6.2.3

Rfc7231 even has an example with "Host: server.example.com:80", although that
is in the context of a connect request, admittedly.

Nowhere did I find any indication that a host-header with a default port should
be illegal or treated on any way different from one without it.
Imho to support Postel's Law, both sides should be changed, client (sender in
this case) conservative, server more liberal.

Anyways, I rest my case and thank you again for the quick workaround.

cheers,
  bkw