Hi Ben,

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 06:03:54PM -0700, Ben Burkert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The 3.11 release of the Linux kernel added a new feature for low
> latency network polling. Using the SO_BUSY_POLL socket option, an
> application can enable busy polling. This instructs the kernel to poll
> the network device driver directly for a period of time when the
> application does a read or poll on the socket before new packets have
> been recieved. For HAproxy deployments sensitive to latency or jitter,
> supporting busy polling could provide a mechanism to trade higher CPU
> load for reduced latency and jitter.
>
> I'm intersted in adding a feature to HAproxy for setting SO_BUSY_POLL
> on a listener socket. I was thinking the socket option could be
> enabled by setting a "busy_poll" keyword in the listen section. Is
> there any interest in accepting patches for such a feature?

Better do it on the "bind" line since each bind line can have its own
settings. Look for example at "tfo", "defer-accept" or "mss".

Also, please see how TFO is enabled in the makefile so that we don't
depend on having an up-to-date libc. Basically when we set USE_TFO,
the required defines are set if not there yet. You should definitely
do the same to ease the transition.

Please prefer "busy-poll" to "busy_poll" since we're trying to avoid
adding more underscores and prefer the more widespread "-" that's more
readable especially at the bottom of a screen.

And please post your results :-)

Thanks,