On 09/09/2014 10:12 AM, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
Hi Colin,

On Tue, 09 Sep 2014, 17:00:37 +0200, Colin Ingarfield wrote:
Hello,

I'm running linux Mint 17 qiana.
$ uname -a
Linux cingarfield-dt 3.13.0-24-generic #47-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 2
23:30:00 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The packaged haproxy for this distro is version 1.4.24:

$ /usr/sbin/haproxy -vv
HA-Proxy version 1.4.24 2013/06/17
[...]
My question is why does the packaged 1.4.24 use sepoll but from
source 1.5.3 use epoll?  Is there a meaningful difference, eg, in
terms of performance?
from <http://www.haproxy.org/news.html>:

  Nov 22th, 2012 : Development 1.5-dev13 with Compression!

    4. Polling

       o speculative polling was generalized to all pollers, and sepoll
       disappeared as it was superseded by epoll. The main reason for
       this important change is the way OpenSSL works and the fact that
       it can easily get stuck with some data in buffers with no I/O
       event to unblock them. So we needed to engage into this difficult
       change. I'd have preferred to delay it to 1.6 if I was offered the
       choice ! But in the end this is good because it's done and it
       improves both performance and reliability. Even select() and
       poll() are now fast.

Thank you,
Colin Ingarfield
HTH, cheers.

l8er
manfred

This page did not turn up in my brief googling -- I should have tried harder. But it's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!