On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Franky Van Liedekerke
<liede...@telenet.be> wrote:
> After doing tcpdump on both servers (no ldap errors anywhere in the
> ldap logs), I see that the ldap server sends out resets and the
> clients connecting to haproxy. This might be related to one another.
> Each client seems to send 2 RST packets at the end of a LDAP TLS
> session (over port 389), does that sound familiar?
>
> Franky

Ok, after much trial and error, I pinned it down to the following: we
have lots of servers doing ldap lookup for authentication, also when
connecting via ssh. Now on EL5 servers this auth is done via a call to
/usr/libexec/openssh/ssh-ldap-wrapper.
Apparently this binary causes the resets to be shown in the haproxy
error logs. I switched to the sssd version for EL5 servers, but that
version did not include ssh-keys support, so the resets persisted.
Again to the internet for the rescue: the version 1.9.6 for el5 can be
found at
http://copr-be.cloud.fedoraproject.org/results/sgallagh/sssd-1.9-rhel5/epel-5-x86_64
, and that version does support ssh correctly. Installing it, changing
the ssh config et voila: no more resets.
So the bug is in the ssh-ldap-wrapper, but I understand that doing a
RST at the end is not bad, just not "good" either ... the side-effect
of the new sssd is that much less ldap queries are made (as sudo and
ssh use sssd too then), but I'll leave it up to the management to
decide wether or not to go for that solution.

Franky