Hi Apollon,

first, thank you for your feedback.

On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 09:21:58PM +0300, Apollon Oikonomopoulos wrote:
> Hi Willy,
>
> On 19:18 Thu 02 Oct     , Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > So my question is : what do you think about the current maintenance
> > release frequency ? Do you think we should release more often, which
> > also means that some people might upgrade for no good reason, or get
> > used to miss versions ? Do you think that instead we should simply
> > consider that when someone asks for a release here on the list, it's
> > likely the good time for it ?
>
> As you stated, currently there are two distinct release modes, driven by
> different needs:
>
>  - Security vulnerabilities/major bugs - the event-driven release mode:
>    I think everyone will agree that in these cases a release should be
>    as immediate as possible.

Sure.

>  - Medium/minor bugs - the "never-important-enough-to-warrant-a-release"

That's probably the best way to describe it, indeed!

>    mode: These tend to pile up in a long queue of commits and wait until
>    either someone asks for a release, or something bad happens.
>    However, even if these fixes are really not that serious, they do fix
>    existing problems. Furthermore, usually someone has complained about
>    these problems and possibly more people have experienced them but not
>    bothered to report them and most of those affected would like to see
>    them fixed in a reasonable amount of time without cherry-picking
>    commits from git themselves.

Yes, good point.

> Note that the combination of a long number of unreleased minor fixes
> with a forced release due to a major bug has higher chances of exposing
> users to undetected regressions since the last release, precisely at the
> moment you want all people to upgrade urgently.

That's an interesting aspect I had not added to the mix, but you're right
and as we've seen with 1.5-dev, releases always come by two : the first
one with the new features, and the second one one week later to fix the
ugly regressions that remained undetected for 6 months. So indeed, making
it easier for users to upgrade more often can bring some benefits.

> IMHO, with the 1.5 series being maintenance-only (i.e. no new features)
> I think we can apply a time-based rule specifying an upper limit,
> something like "release on the 15th of every month" (or the 1st Monday),
> as long as there is something to release of course.

Yes, that could be something like this. I just don't want the date to
become too strict because flexibility is convenient for everyone. I
was also thinking about scripting something to indicate the cost of
not releasing a set of fixes. In short, a minor bug counts as 1, a
medium bug counts as 3, a major bug counts as 10, and a critical one
as 30. We sum everything seen since last release and get a score. If
the total exceeds 20, a release is needed. Otherwise just check the
date since last release.

> It's probably
> tempting to consider schedules like "release before the oldest
> unreleased git commit is 1 month old",

Interesting view, more accurate than considering the last release indeed.

> but I think it's essential to
> stick to a schedule easy to remember (by adding a periodic reminder) and
> difficult to prolong e.g. by waiting for 2 weeks without bugs.

Unless commit hooks tell me "Hey, now's time to release" :-)

> By the way, we are approaching the Debian freeze, due on Nov 5, which
> means that I would be really happy to see a release by Oct 15. That
> said, I was about to put on the "that guy who asks for a release" hat
> :-).

*This* is a very good reason. I have something to check with Emeric and
depending whether we can address it quickly or not, I'll plan a release
soon then.

And you, the distro maintainers, should not be shy about this. I'm serious.
We (haptech) try to push a release before our own major releases of ALOHA
for the very same reason. We all know how annoying it is to have the first
version of a package in a new release starting with a ton of patches, while
we feel "clean" when all patches are added only after the release.

So do not hesitate to harrass me if you don't see 1.5.5 in a few days.

Thanks for your insights,