I have used the above directive in my configuration file under defaults. And it
has made not even the slightest difference in seeing messages like the
following getting printed from our http client:

HTTP/1.0 408 Request Time-outCache-Control: no-cacheConnection:
closeContent-Type: text/html
request in time.</body></html>

I am running HaProxy 1.5.8

Here are my defaults:
defaults        log global        mode http        balance leastconn
option httplog        retries 1        option redispatch        option
log-health-checks        timeout client 1m        timeout connect 30s
timeout server 1m        timeout check 10000        # suppress the html
response in 408 timeout errors        errorfile 408 /dev/null