heres are some relevent snips
I run this in with same address as the service

frontend SSL
    acl url_hastats url_beg /hastats
    acl location_trusted src 123.123.123.0/24
    acl magic_cookie_trusted hdr_sub(cookie)
magicforthissiteonly=foobar_SHA1value_etc
    use_backend hastats if url_hastats location_trusted
    use_backend hastats if url_hastats magic_cookie_trusted
    deny if url_hastats

backend hastats
    mode http
    stats uri /hastats
    stats realm Service\ Loadbalancer
    stats show-desc <br/><font color='GoldenRod ' size='5'>url.domain:
hostname<br/> config version</font>
    stats show-legends
    stats auth admin:password
    stats admin if TRUE