I think that nails the problem. So if its not just me then the question is
if this is intended behavior or if its a bug. If its intended then I don't
think its entirely clear from the documentation that 'mode tcp' only works
under certain circumstances. If we confirm that its a bug then I'd be
willing to see if I can track it down and fix it.