On 6/24/15, 2:58 PM, "Willy Tarreau" <w...@1wt.eu> wrote:
>What I'm understanding here is that instead of using SNI only as the key
>to pick a cert, we want the (SNI, algo) combination. Coudln't we have two
>certs per SNI entry ? One in RSA form, the other one in ECDSA, and only
>provide what is supported ? We could even consider that whenever a client
>advertises support for ECDSA we should provide it first as it saves CPU
>cycles. I guess that RSA won't go away for a long time and might still
>be there in 10 years anyway, so selecting first on SNI and second on the
>algo with a fallback to the only cert present in the SNI for most cases
>where there's a single one sounds the right approach.

I agree that this is the best approach to take. I¹ll begin to shift my
implementation to do this. It currently does not take SNI into account.

>I could be wrong but I think that we have as many SSL_CTX as we load
>certs,
>and we pick the correct one based on the SNI, so it should probably not be
>an issue in our case with either version.

Yup, this is true. I¹ll have to do some more research on how the EB trees
work in HAProxy. I think the current code just looks for the first match,
whereas the new code should look for all matches and pick based on algo.

>BTW, please take care of surrounding your code with the appropriate ifdefs
>if you think you're using features from recent libs.

Yup, I¹m trying to be as mindful as I can about this.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Dave