Il 14/07/2015 22:11, Baptiste ha scritto:
- when parsing the configuration, HAProxy uses libc functions and
resolvers provided by the operating system => if the server can't be
resolved at this step, then HAProxy can't start
[...]
> First, we want to fix the error when HAProxy fails starting up because
> the resolvers pointed by the system can't resolve a server's IP
> address (but HAProxy resolvers could).
> The idea here would to create a new flag on the server to tell HAProxy
> which IP to use. The server would be enabled when the IP has been
> provided by the expected tool.

Hi, Baptiste.

Since I am used to IP address I cannot figure out all possible implication of the server name DNS resolution :-)

IMHO HAproxy should start in any case if the configuration is valid; only the unresolvable items should be marked as disabled or failing or down or whatever.
A wrong DNS entry could stop a otherwise perfectly working configuration.

Why not providing an option to start haproxy even if not all servers can be resolved?

Your proposal of the "init-addr" could be useful for a trick: I can set a surely unreacheable address to let haproxy start and then force/wait for the name resolution to have a working server.

A "NX" server state would be very nice.

.marcoc