Hello,

We are setting up a proxy, a haproxy server on CentOS 7, to our mail services (webmail, smtp, pop3, imap, simple and with STARTTLS, or SSL/TLS as appropriate). The load of the services is considered low. All clients will be accessing the above services through the new proxy.

Current goal: To provide redundancy (fail-over) of the haproxy server.

I have read: http://www.serverphorums.com/read.php?10,255589 which provides valuable information, but I would like your opinions, due to the limitations we face (see below).

All our VPS servers are provided free of charge (we are a non-profit scientific research foundation) by our ISP, but there are limitations:

   - All our servers (DNS, Mail, Web, etc.) are hosted on VPSs (i.e.
   they are VMs) on two different data centers (on our ISP's cloud),
   i.e. we don't have any local physical servers available
   - Each VPS server must have a single (exactly one) distinct
   permanent IP Address and a single network interface
   - We don't control how each VM is connected to the Internet
   - We don't have any SLAs for network or VPS availability

On the good side, the uptime is very high; we rarely face downtime, yet, we need redundancy for the rare occasions when a VM will not be available due to hardware or network issues.

It would be enough for us to be able to use two VMs (each running haproxy with identical configuration), one on each of the two data centers, as an active/passive pair.

However, under the above circumstances, I find it difficult to use the usually suggested solutions of keepalived, heartbeat, pacemaker (and any similar software which causes IP Address changes). A common DNS name with two A records is not a reliable solution.

So, could you please provide some opinions/advice on how to move on with our available resources?

Thanks in advance,
Nick