Hi!

I've searched the list and not found much on lengthy HAProxy start/config load times. We tend to run HAProxy with a large number of backends (100+), and recently noticed that we are seeing lengthy reload times (20+ seconds). This is most noticeable in locations that are far away from our DNS server. We've traced this back to HAProxy doing sequential DNS lookup, one address at a time, and the long RTT to our DNS servers (~200ms). As such, load times tend to be N*M ms, where N is the number of backends and M is the RTT to the DNS server.

While searching the mailing list, there was a little discussion about using getaddrinfo_a for making DNS queries asynchronous. I can not find any signs of this work in the latest development branch release. Is anyone currently working on it, and if not, is it something that the project would be interested in seeing?

Cheers,
Cyrus

--

Cyrus Hall | Lead Software Engineer | Twitch | 720-327-0344 | cy...@twitch.tv