Thank you Willy, that's an honest answer.
You grasped my "practical" concern (I always thought "Examples" section in
man pages should be moved up high :)
I've been to blog.haproxy.com, and no full-fat Lua meals there as of yet.
I understand this is a new hot thing with HAProxy, so we'll have to wait
for it to grow & thrive..
Sure I'll report back here if I get to the point where I get some Lua code
to do this (even a lame contraption).

That being said, if a charitable soul here around can provide some working
Lua code for modifying backend response in TCP mode, or a battle plan for
the concept, that would be nice.

Also, maybe this can be made a new feature in 1.7, even minimally : search
for a stretch of bytes and replace with some other byte sequence (rewrites
for TCP, basically), append a piece of data, .. that kind of simple stuff
(at the user's own peril, of course. Shuffling bytes is for adults).
Would be nice, and doesn't sound daunting to implement..

Forgot to mention : HAProxy is freakin'great !