Hi,

>> A simple option in the resolvers section to instruct HAPoxy to not
>> forgive on NX and failover to next family:
>> option on-nx-try-next-family
>
> I personally find this confusing from the user's point of view.

Agreed, we should have good and safe defaults, and address corner
cases with additional options, not the other way around.

> When you know that you can only use IPv4 to join the next server, I
> think this :
>
> server remote1 remote1.mydomain check v4only
>
> is more obvious than this :
>
> option on-nx-try-next-family
> server remote1 remote1.mydomain check prefer-ipv4

Actually I think "v4only" would be "prefer-ipv4" without
on-nx-try-next-family, right? Anyway, I agree.

Without automatic AF fallback and without ANY queries, the
"prefer" keyword actually is restricting, and not preferring.

> Also, it covers the case where some servers are known to support both
> protocols while others are limited. This allows for example to join
> the same remote server over two possible families behind a DSL line
> which uses a random IP address after each reconnection :
>
> server home-v4 home-v4.mydomain check v4only
> server home-v6 home-v6.mydomain check v6only
>
> And since we already have v4only/v6only on bind lines, the analogy
> seems easy to remember.

The behavior with v4only or v6only is quite obvious, we just query that
particular address family, but let me clarify: you are implying that
without v4only/v6only keyword, we query one address family and then
fallback to the other address family in case we get a NX response, right?

I think thats a good solution.

Question: are we still talking about 1.6 here? It seems we have to
make some intrusive changes that may break configurations (but they
seem mandatory to get consistent and predictable behavior).

By the amount of people that already hit the ANY issue (3 or more?),
I would say we better break a small number of configurations between
1.6 and 1.6.1, then having to deal with the fallout of the ANY issue
(because the ANY removal changes resolve-prefer behavior as well)
for the time that 1.6 is supported.

Regards,

Lukas