> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 7:14 PM, SL <bgs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'll be doing an upgrade from 1.4 to 1.6 tomorrow. Just wondering if there
>> are any changed defaults, breaking changes, anything like that? Or should
>> my config work as before?
>
> Haproxy 1.5 changed the default connection mode if you use http. Up to
> version 1.5-dev21 "option tunnel" was the default, now it's "option
> http-keep-alive".
> https://cbonte.github.io/haproxy-dconv/configuration-1.5.html#4
>
> This bit me a bit, when I upgraded from 1.4 to 1.5, as the tunnel mode
> works a bit different. But with settings "option http-keep-alive" and
> "option prefer-last-server" specified, everthing was fine.

Yeah, I think thats about the most important change, even between 1.4
and 1.6.

Definitely use latest 1.6.1 if you want to go with 1.6 already.

I don't expect that the new release silently breaks old configurations,
however you may wanna do some testing before going into production.

Everything else depends on what you are trying to do exactly and how
critical your production traffic is.

This may be obvious, but since it has been done before: try not to upgrade
to a new major release and at the same time enable new features. Just
upgrade the code and run in production for a while. Then go and test
new features. If something breaks, you can rollback the last change. If you
do anything at the same time, you will have no idea whats causing the
problem.

Regards,

Lukas